'Tristan Und Isolde' by Richard Wagner: Wide Open Opera
On 30th September, Platform Ireland live-streamed "Tristan und Isolde", considered one of Richard Wagner greatest operas from The Bord Gais Energy Theatre as part of The Dublin Theatre Festival 2012. Presented by Wide Open Opera, Platform Ireland was joined during the performance by friends, followers and supporters across 50 countries worldwide who shared the event with over five million people worldwide.
Tristan und Isolde is an epic Irish love story which is regarded by many as ‘the greatest operatic achievement of all time’. The five hour performance also featured exclusive interviews with singers, audience members and participants pre, during and post performance.
A terrifically successful performance, 'Tristan und Isolde' was a mammoth undertaking comprising a team of 200 people, led by highly talented singers from Ireland, Sweden, Canada and Austria and the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra.
“Our goal was to bring the first Irish performance of this ravishing work since 1963 to audiences on the web as part of our mission to remove barriers and to bring opera closer to people in their daily lives," says Fergus Sheil, Founder and Artistic Director, Wide Open Opera.
Reviews for Tristan und Isolde in the Irish media and social media comments posted to Platform Ireland:
- "Oh the power and the glory of it all. Five stars for Tristan und Isolde, a stunning performance." The Sunday Business Post.
- "The opening night was a triumph all round..... A Tristan und Isolde to cherish." Michael Dervan, The Irish Times, Tuesday 2 October, 2012.
- Thank you, @platformireland and @wideopenopera for this evening! Greetings from Hungary! Do visit us at the 2013 Budapest Wagner Days! ;)
- “A great thanks to all at platformireland.ie on behalf of all the members of the Hellenic Wagner Society! We wish you every success to your endeavours! Have a nice weekend! A salute to our Irish friends from Athens!”
- A special hello from the Wagner Society of New York, many of our members are watching live at the moment and really enjoying the show over lunch in NYC.
Wide Open Opera was formed in 2012 by Fergus Sheil. Its ambition is to produce a wide range of opera for audiences in Ireland, from large scale projects to smaller works, from existing repertoire to new commissions, in theatres and unexpected locations. The inaugural production of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde was generously funded by The Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon. It was produced in association with Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin Theatre Festival and the RTE National Symphony Orchestra. The production originated in Welsh National Opera.